Butternut Squash & 4 Bean Chili
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 1.5 cups chopped carrots
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups diced butternut squash or pumpkin
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 15 ounce cans beans (I used black pinto, cannellini and red beans)
- 3 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper optional
- For toppings: diced onion cotija cheese, roasted pumpkin seeds
- Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion andcook, stirring often, until it starts to brown (~5 min). Reduce heatto medium. Add carrot and continue cooking, stirring often, untilthe vegetables are soft (~4-5 more min).
- Add garlic and continue to cook for an additional minute.
- Next, stir in broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Add squash,tomatoes, beans, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, salt, andcayenne. Cover and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, uncovered,until the squash is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Serve garnished with onion, cheese, and pumpkin seeds ifdesired.