Healthier Green Bean Casserole
- 2 1/2 lbs green beans cut into 1 inch pieces about 8 cups
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion sliced thin
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Toss green beans in bowl with 1 tablespoon olive oil and divide into twobaking sheets. Roast for 20-25 minutes until tender.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onions andcook until soft. Add flour and salt. Add milk and keep stirring until sauce isthick (about 4 minutes)
- Once green beans are done being roasted. Preheat oven to broil.
- Transfer half green beans to baking sheet then cover with half the sauce.
- Layer other half of green beans and cover with the rest of the sauce.
- Combine breadcrumbs and remaining oil into a small bowl and sprinkleover green beans.
- Place green beans in the oven on broil for 1-4 minutes, watch untilbreadcrumbs become brown at the top. Let sit for 10 minutes